Things To Consider Before Applying For A 189 Visa In Australia
The Australian Department of Home Affairs has designed several visas under the Skilled Migration Program to allow overseas skilled workers to live permanently in any region of Australia. Different skilled work visas have different requirements, and thus you have to be careful when making the application. One such visa is the Skilled Independent Subclass 189 Visa, allowing only invited workers to move to the Land Down Under permanently. This blog discusses important things to consider before applying for the 189 Visa.
Know about specific visa details
Before you apply, you must be aware of specific visa details:-
- You can include your family members
- You can add your spouse or partner and dependent children to the application when you are the main applicant. There are two ways you can add them.
- You may include them when applying.
- If you haven’t included them at the time of application, make sure you add them before the Department of Home Affairs makes any visa decision.
- If you do not add them, you have to clarify the reasons.
For the main applicant, the visa application cost is AUD4115. If any other adult applicant included in the application does not have a Functional level of English, a second instalment charge of AUD4980 will be required. But, you have to pay it only when the Department of Home Affairs asks you to do so.
You apply from outside or inside Australia
Applying from inside or outside Australia is allowed. But keep in mind that you must hold a substantive visa like a Bridging Visa A (Subclass 010), Bridging Visa B (Subclass 020), or Bridging Visa C (Subclass 030) if you apply while being in Australia.
You have to wait for some months to receive your visa
Every visa application takes some days to get processed. Skilled work visas are permanent residence visas, and so they have longer processing times. This time varies according to the number of applications submitted at a specific time. For example, while the processing time is 18 months for 75% of applications, it is 30 months for 90%.
Know about the visa benefits
As a Visa Subclass 189 holder in Australia, you can do the following things.
- You can stay here permanently.
- Working and studying are allowed.
- As a permanent resident, you can enrol in Medicare, Australia’s public health care scheme.
- If your eligible relatives want to come to Australia in the future, you can sponsor them.
- From the date you are granted the visa, you can travel abroad and return to Australia whenever you wish for the next 5 years. After these 5 years is over, you have to obtain a Return Resident Visa (RRV) to return to Australia.
- You will also be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship if you stay in Australia and remain compliant with all the visa conditions.
One thing to keep in mind is that you may have to wait before getting access to government benefits after you arrive.
Make sure you meet all the requirementsBefore starting your Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 application, you must meet all the eligibility requirements.
You must receive an invitation to apply
We have already stated that this visa is granted only to those invited by the Australian Department of Home Affairs. So, to apply for the visa, you must receive a proper invitation.
First, you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to let them know about your intention to apply. Your EOI will be assessed against that of other applicants. Based on the assessment, you may receive an invitation.
Your age must be less than 45
Applicants under 45 years of age are granted this visa. However, if you turn 45 after receiving your invitation, you can still receive your visa.
Your occupation must be present on the skilled occupation list
As Visa 189 is a skilled work visa, you must have skills in an occupation listed on the relevant skilled occupation list. There are several skilled occupation lists under the Australian Immigration Department, and you can search the list using your occupation’s ANZSCO (Australia and New Zealand Standard Classifications of Occupations) code.
A skills assessment is required
Applicants have to undertake a skills assessment for the nominated skilled occupation to prove that they have the relevant skills in the required occupation. Make sure the skills assessment result is not more than 3 years old.
For legal and medical practitioners, registrations with relevant authorities are accepted as proof.
You must score at least 65 points or more
The 189 Visa is a points-based visa, which means you have to achieve the threshold limit in the points’ test for the visa grant.
Once you submit your Expression of Interest, points will be given according to the claims you make on the visa, and the total score must be at least 65.
You must meet the English language requirement
As the main applicant, you must have a competent level of English.
Meeting health and character requirements is necessary
The Government of Australia is strict about public health and safety. So, as an immigrant, you must have good health and character.
Health requirements must be met by anyone included in the application. Remember that family members not coming with you to Australia may also have to undergo health examinations if asked.
Both primary and secondary applicants (over 16) must meet character requirements.
Complete all the steps to make a successful application
An incomplete visa application may result in visa application rejection, so you must complete all the steps properly.
Step 1: Complete necessary steps before the application
There are some steps required to be completed before the application.
- Undergo health examinations.
- Before submitting the EOI, you should check if your occupation is on the relevant list of skilled occupations and you obtain all the necessary points.
- Submit your EOI.
- Receive an invitation.
- You can take application help from a registered migration agent in Perth.
Step 2: Gather documents
Next, you have to gather all the documents required in the application.
- Identity documents, including passport and a national id document
- Relationship documents like marriage, divorce, registered relationship, or separation certificate
- EOI documents to support all the claims
- Character documents, including a clearance certificate from the Australian Federal Police (AFP)
- A minimum overall band score of 6 with 4 in each component of IELTS
- Skills assessment documents
- Documents of partner and dependent children
- A filled-out Form 956 if you take professional help
Step 3: Apply for the visa
If you choose to make an online application, you must submit scanned copies of all the documents. You must also make the visa application fee payment to make the application.
Step 4: Respond to further queries
After making the application, the Department of Home Affairs may ask for further information like health examination reports and biometrics. You have to make a quick response.
Step 5: Wait for the visa outcome
You have to wait for some months for the visa decision. Regardless of the result, the Department will let you know it through email.
Where to find help?
To hire the best Immigration Agent Perth, you can contact any top-ranked migration firm. However, before you hire, check if the agent has proper registration and a high reputation in the industry.