11/10/2023 | 8 PM
105.5 The Legend
Nov. 10 (Fri) / 8 PM
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Indiana State started the 2023-24 season against St. Mary-of-the-Woods College, defeating the Pomeroys 90-60 on Monday night.
Three Sycamores finished the season opener with double-digit scoring. Isaiah Swope recorded 26 points on 10-for-17 shooting. Ryan Conwell fell just behind Swope with 25 points on 9-for-13 shooting. Both Swope and Conwell drained five triples each and combined for 56% shooting from behind the arc. Jayson Kent added 14 points.
For the Pomeroys, Tarik Dixon led the scoring effort with 10 points. The Sycamores held SMWC to 37.3% shooting from the floor.
In the first half, Swope lit up the scorecard, accounting for 14 of ISU’s first 23 points. In that stretch, Swope shot 5-for-7 and made his first four threes of the game.
At the halftime break, Swope and Conwell combined for 35 of the team’s 44 points. Of those 35 points, Swope scored 20 and Conwell added the other 15. Xavier Bledson dished out eight of his 11 assists in the half.
Midway through the second half, ISU commanded the floor with a 19-6 run in a 5:43 stretch. That 19-point effort was generated from Conwell (9 points), Swope (6 points), and Kent (4 points).
With six minutes remaining in the game, the Sycamores extended their lead to 30 points off Bledson’s first three pointer of the game. ISU would hold that lead to capture the 90-60 victory in Hulman Center.
Inside the Numbers
- As a team, ISU shot 55.4% from the floor and 44.4% from three. Dating back to last season, the Sycamores recorded only three games with a higher team field goal shooting percentage.
- ISU’s 90 points marks the seventh 90-point game dating back to last season. ISU recorded two 100-point games last year (105 vs Trinity Christian; 101 vs North Dakota St.)
- ISU capitalized off SMWC turnovers, scoring 24 points. This number is higher than last season’s average of 15.4.
News & Notes
- ISU has won three consecutive season openers under Schertz’s reign. Last season, ISU downed Green Bay at home and in the 2021-22 season ISU defeated Rose-Hulman.
- Xavier Bledson recorded a career-high in assists with 11.
- Jayson Kent’s 14 points are his career high at Indiana State.
Indiana State heads south to Tuscaloosa, Ala. to battle the Crimson Tide from the University of Alabama. This will be the first matchup between Indiana State and Alabama. The game will be aired on Friday, November 10 at 8 p.m. ET on SEC Network+.
Single Game and Season Tickets Still on Sale
Those seeking more information on single game and season tickets can call 877-ISU-TIXS or email [email protected]. Fans can also buy season tickets online by clicking HERE. The season features 14 home games and away games in Las Vegas, Nev. for the Ball Dawgs Classic (Nov. 21-24), at Gainbridge Fieldhouse (Dec. 15 vs. Ball State), and Dec. 30 at Michigan State.
Follow the Sycamores
For the latest information on the Sycamore men’s basketball team, make sure to check out GoSycamores.com. You can also find the team on social media including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Fans can also receive updates on Sycamore Athletics by downloading the March On App from both the App Store and the Google Play Store.
Olivia Wilson is a trendsetter in the world of digital culture. With an eagle eye for emerging trends and viral phenomena, she keeps readers up-to-date with the latest online sensations, memes, and pop culture trends. Olivia’s passion for staying ahead of the curve is infectious.