1. The fascination of sports lies in the mystery of how quarterbacks are projected to transition from college football to the NFL. Eight out of the 15 quarterbacks drafted in the top 15 from 2018 to 2022 have underperformed, including Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, and others. Only five out of the 15 QBs are solid starters or better. The looming question now is how the Giants, Patriots, Bears, Seahawks, and Bucs will navigate the challenging task of identifying a good NFL quarterback in the upcoming drafts.
2. I’m intrigued by the complexity of understanding the options a coach has during a significant play, and it got me thinking about the game between the Carolina Panthers and the Chicago Bears. On the PFT show with Mike Florio, we delved deep into the play where the Panthers failed to utilize their quarterback Bryce Young on a crucial fourth down. There was ample data suggesting the Panthers should have trusted Young, but unfortunately, they did not, leading to extensive post-game discussions and analysis.
3. Travis Kelce’s life has undergone dramatic changes recently. From traveling between Germany and Kansas City to Argentina and then back to Kansas City, Kelce’s immersive lifestyle contrasts with his mundane routine before. My instinct tells me that he will have more involvement in the upcoming game due to a significant decrease in targets in the last game. It’s evident that Patrick Mahomes might look to Kelce with higher frequency moving forward.
4. Last week, I had the opportunity to be a part of Mike Florio’s daily PFT show, connecting with Charean Williams from Germany. It was a captivating experience to consider the logistics of our locations and how we appeared crisply on TV. The clarity of the shots from our iPhones across continents was mind-blowing.
5. There’s an undeniable sense of wonder in me as we successfully streamed live TV from miles apart through our iPhones. The technology behind creating delay-free, clear television content is remarkable.
6. The football world is abuzz with speculation, leaving me uncertain about Jim Harbaugh’s future in college football. I’m curious whether NFL teams would consider bringing Harbaugh onboard, should he depart from his current position.
7. Contemplating the hypothetical situation of Bill Belichick departing from his current role, I couldn’t help but entertain intriguing prospects for his next chapter. From the Dallas Cowboys to the L.A. Chargers, potential landing spots for Belichick evoke curiosity and surprise.
8. Football Story of the Week goes to Sam Farmer’s piece on Jared Goff’s journey in Detroit. The compelling account of Goff seeking an exit meeting with coach Sean McVay after leaving the LA Rams highlighted his quest for closure and improvement. Goff’s courage and determination make this story particularly captivating.
9. Finally, I extend my best wishes to former NFL quarterback Matt McGloin as he embarks on a new endeavor, away from conventional football pursuits.
ohn Smith is your NFL insider, providing in-depth coverage of football’s biggest league. With a passion for the game and a keen eye for statistics, John delivers game analysis, player profiles, and breaking news to keep readers updated on all things NFL.